After almost 2 years of speculation among the cricket fans ganguly finally decides to call it a day from test cricket. Yes , but that’s only after the India Australia series gets over . Anyways this is the best time he could do it .Considering the current Australian team as the weakest ever ,wouldn’t it be great for the former captain to end his career on a winning note .
Speaking of his career in test cricket ,Prince of kolkatta had the best starts any player would dream of . A century in his debut test against england in 1996 marked the emergence of one of the best players india has produced not to forget that he has been the most successful Indian captain abroad .
Ganguly has been unable to keep a permanent spot in the Indian squad ever since the greg-ganguly saga in 2005 . There has been a constant pressure on him from former players , anit-ganguly cricket fans and ofcourse the media . Everyone knows the hype that these news channels create and its a feast for them when it comes to cricket. Media has been a little too harsh on him . Ok He was not playing well , but that doesn’t mean u will make his life even more miserable . Even a week back i saw a poll in one of the news channels
Would u want the senior players to retire one by one or in a single go ???
now Isnt it a silly question ?? …. of course there are lots of lame polls like this but this seemed more off track . Who are Media to decide when a player should retire ?? People forget these were the once main pillars of indian cricket team when batting was considered the main strength of indian cricket team . Dont they even have a personal choice of ending their career at their own will .
Being a Die hard sachin fan its depressing to hear people who have done nothing advising sachin to retire . I mean its totally weird to give advice to a guy who has over 25000 runs in international cricket ,who is considered the best next only to the legend sir donald bradman .I just wish people would let players decide themselves If u cant support them during their lean patch plz dont make it worse .
Anyways i have deviated from the topic i guess ,coming once again to ganguly .
|One-Day Career Batting and Fielding (1989/90-2007/08)|
|Test Career Batting and Fielding (1996-2008)|
You can have even more detailed view of his career right here .
- Captained India in a record 49 Test matches
- Led India to a record 21 Test wins
- His test average has never been less than 40.
- Hold the record of most 200+ ODI partnerships (6 times) along with Sachin Tendulkar and Ricky Ponting.
- Holds the record, shared with Sachin Tendulkar, for most 1st wicket ODI partnerships of 175+ runs (7 times).
- Holds the record, shared with Mahendra Singh Dhoni, for the second highest score by an Indian cricketer in an ODI — 183, against Sri Lanka in 1999.
- Held the record, shared with Sachin Tendulkar, for the highest first wicket partnership for India in an ODI match, 258, against Kenya in 2001. This record was bettered by Sri Lankan opening pair of Jayasuriya and Tharanga in 2006 at Headingley.
- Was involved in the first 300 run ODI partnership with Rahul Dravid.
- Sixth on the all time list with 31 man of the match awards.
- He is also the only player to win 4 consecutive man of the match awards in ODIs.
- India’s most successful ODI captain.
- First Indian to score an ODI century against Australia in Australia.
- Highest ODI runs scorer in the world (in a calendar year) in 1997,1999,2000.
- Third in the list of hitting maximum number of sixes in ODIs.
- Second in the list of highest number of centuries in a single calendar year ever. 7 centuries in 2000.
Now thats a decent ,perhaps more than a decent record and i remember his one day average at about 46 once before his bad patch started .
You support him or not but the moments he gave us will be fresh for every cricket fan . i dont think anyone will ever forget the special moment when india won the natwest series in England . The next best highlight of the finals after the matching winning partership between yuvaraj and kaif was the way sourav reacted by removing his Tshirt and waved it 😀 .
I am sure if not for the resentment around him he would have at least hoped to play for a couple of years after all he was back in form after sitting out of the team for a year and a half . Otherwise why would a man who said 2 weeks back would suddenly make a decision to quit .
Anyways I just wish him Good luck for his future .